Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cold Mornings

It was 8°C this morning, which while not really cold was cold enough to make me think that my normal breakfast of rolled oats, apple and yoghurt, served cold was not really what I wanted today. so I had porridge, or rather my variation of it:

Put in a largish bowl, (the bowl you will eat it from, I'm currently using a pasta bowl)

1/3 c rolled oats 1/2 c milk
then add 1 chopped apple (skin and all) and 1 tb craisins or sultanas, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and then microwave for 2-3 mins (depending on your microwave) You can stir it halfway through if you like, but I usually don't bother. Top with yoghurt or whatever you want (runny cream and some brown sugar can be quite nice) and enjoy.

I make other variations depending on what is available or what I feel like, the basic recipe of oats and milk stays the same, it's just the extras that change, for example,

1 tb almonds, chopped or slivered and 1 tb maple syrup/or golden syrup

1 tb chopped walnuts 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 chopped banana 2-3 chopped dates

If you like your porridge runnier, just add a bit more milk. I think it works better if the bowl is wider rather than deeper. If you want to make a larger quantity (say for 2 people) it is better to make 2 bowls and cook separately rather than 1 larger bowl.

Be warned it is usually quite hot when it comes from the microwave, so it's best to leave it to stand for a minute or so. Don't forget to soak the bowl once you have finished, otherwise it is murder to clean.

No comments: