Thursday, May 8, 2008

What to have for lunch

I haven't cooked this Alison Holst recipe for ages, I remembered it yesterday when I was racking my brains trying to think of something quick to have for lunch. Originally I had planned to have some leftovers from the day before, but we had been a bit greedy and there wasn't quite enough. I had potatoes, frozen peas and eggs, and I had some sour cream that was close to it's use by date, so half an hour later we were eating. I served it with some steamed broccoli which went well with the curried sauce. Delicious. It is still really nice without the peas, sour cream and hardboiled eggs, and if you don't have new potatoes it works ok too. Next time I think I will try adding some cooked chick peas to the mixture as well.

Curried New Potatoes

Serves 4 or 2 really hungry people

2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp curry powder
1 onion, chopped
6 medium new potatoes (600g)
1 tsp instant chicken stock
1 tsp sugar
1 cup hot water

Optional ingredients:
1/2 cup peas
1/4 cup sour cream
4-6 hardboiled eggs

In a medium sized frypan, melt the butter, add curry powder and chopped onion and cook gently while you wash and scrape the potatoes (if necessary) Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters for quicker cooking. Add to the curry and onion mixture, stir then add the hot water, instant stock and sugar. Stir again, cover pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and liquid is thick. (watch liquid and add extra or raise heat, so you finish up with a thickish sauce. Serve as it is or:

Add peas and cook until peas are tender, then serve.
Or add sour cream, mixture will thin when sour cream is added, just cook uncovered for about 5 minutes until sauce thickens, then serve.
Or add 4-6 hardboiled eggs, shelled and cut into halves or quarters, arrange eggs on top of mixture and heat gently until they are warm. Sprinkle with paprika if desired, then serve.
You can use half hot water and half coconut cream or milk, if you use the coconut cream/milk then don't use sour cream, as it will be too rich.
I have made it without using the instant chicken stock, you may need to add some salt if you omit that.

No comments: